Wednesday, July 13, 2011

How do I deal with pent up anger toward my psychotic mom?

Hello, I am 17 years old and this anger has been building inside of me for years. I am seething mad at my abusive and neglectful mom, how my childhood has been relatively wasted, and how she could get away with it all. First, PLEASE, NO GUSHY SYMPATHY, just advice. I don't like that kind of attention, and the details are just examples of where my anger is coming from. Mom is incredibly immature and irresponsible, and can always find someone else to blame for her mistakes. All my life, our house has been cramped with her clutter, and incredibly filthy. The floors are caked with filth, and she leaves trash everywhere. She allows her many precious dogs to crap and pee all over the floor (we have 6 dogs--she allowed them to breed and at one point we had 9, sharing a house w/ 5 people. The noise and filth was unbelievable.) When I confronted her about it (we never wanted any of the dogs she brought into the house, let alone to breed) she screamed that it wasn't her fault, and said, "Fine then! If you want them out of here so bad, then I'll just take them to the vet and have them killed!" Whenever she is cornered about something, my mom makes some kind of extreme claim like the latter, and threatens suicide often. She made my childhood hell. I was fed mostly fast food and junk food, and I became underweight, thin and very sick by 4th grade. My dad worked 3 jobs to support the family, so he wasn't around very much and I was left with her. I was mostly isolated as a little kid, not allowed to do sports or afterschool things, and not allowed to have friends over (because of the messy house). Once she threw my sister and I out of the house when I was about 7, my sister 10. She dropped out of nursing school to pursue crazy, unrealistic and unreliable jobs such as breeding dogs/goldfish, taping dog shows, spinning dog hair into yarn and knitting sweaters with it, web design, selling kayaks, etc. She has run up tens of thousands of dollars in her latest escapade (selling dolls) and has extorted no less than $50,000 from my father (ironically, this is the tuition for the premedical universityI want to go to. Now, I must pay for college all on my own, since my father has told me he has no money left) because she got tied up in credit that put our house at stake for forclosure. When she feels like it, she will pick out something stupid and insignificant about me (like my hair, my clothes, my shoes, the way I talk on the phone, the way I walk across the room), or simply make something up. A common occurance: She will walk in the room, I will say hello to her, and she will walk by without a word and sit down. Then, she will lay into me about how I never greet her when she walks in! When I am sick, or in distress, she mocks me. Once, when I was 15, she demanded that I accompany her on a 3 or 4 day long kayak trip as her shore crew, and that I would have to hitch-hike car rides with strange men to get to each checkpoint. When my father confronted her about it, she loudly denounced him and screamed at me in my face that I was a "coward, running to her father". Once, when I told her dog urine from the floor had been splashed into my eyes and that they were sticky and burning the day after, she didn't even blink, or care. She has often said, "I'm not your mother!". When she gets in a rage, my mom will scream insults and throw things. She shook me one time, when I asked her to pick her clothes up off the floor. Despite never having made a real income her whole life, leaching off my father, she criticizes me for having my dad pay for school trips, etc. I am a full time student, I take many AP classes, I am the 1st chair french horn player at my school's top band, I have won many essay contests (including one where I got to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns in DC), I am in the top 1% of my class, a member of NHS, the president of my school Speech & Debate team, etc, just for starters. Ironically, mom loathes me because I didn't drop my extracurriculars to work for her business (she can't afford employees), and rails at my father to make me drop things. I am incredibly mad at my mom for doing this to my house and family, and especially because she could get away with it all. Apparently, she has made a few sympathetic friends via Facebook (she has made up a big story about how we are a terrible family and abuse her) and now she is preparing to move to Wales with these friends. We have had 4 different cases filed with the child protective services, and I currently see a psychologist (a result of case #4) mom hand picked to tell her the family problem was my fault (though ironically, the psychologist concluded that most of the problem was mom, who upon hearing this refuses to see the doctor and calls her a "quack"). The doctor told me the only way I can give her justice is to keep hating her, because she'll have lost the love of her child, but the inj

No comments:

Post a Comment